The Neon Kingdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Neon Kingdom

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Brawl Speak for Beginners

Go down 
+4
kynelius
punisher
mikey20100
Maxim_6
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Maxim_6
Myrmidon
Myrmidon

Brawl Speak for Beginners Empty
PostSubject: Brawl Speak for Beginners   Brawl Speak for Beginners Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:18 pm

I've decided to make a dictionary for particular terms for Brawl that might have others confused, feel free to add to this if you want, but if people repeatadly post for no good reason, I'll close it.

f-air: Stands for forward aerial attack, or in other words, jumping, going forward and pressing A midair

b-air: Stands for backward aerial attack, same concept as f-air, but going backwards

tether: A tether recovery is one that requires a string of some sort and an edge to recover, but this is a somewhat bad recovery method since there has to be an edge and people can edge guard you to oblivion. Some people, like Link, have an optional tether recovery used by hitting the grab button[s].

edge guard: Where a person delibrately stays near the edge and attacks you on the edge to make you either give up or screw up

meteor smash: A move possessed by some characters where, if they use an f-air, you will be plummeted to the ground, or worse, down to oblivion. An example is Mario's f-air, while it's not that easy to hit with, it can be quite powerful. Some characters have their own methods to meteor smash you, usually suicidal, like Captain Falcon's b-side that knocks you down in the air. Meteor Smashing is also refered to as a spike

Ganoncide/Bowsercide: Moves that basically are suicidal meteor smashes, Ganoncide is where Ganondorf uses his b-side while in the air to drag you down to ground zero, Bowsercide is where Bowser uses his b-side on the ground near an edge and takes you down with him

Last edited by Maxim_6 on Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
mikey20100
Myrmidon
Myrmidon
mikey20100

PostSubject: Re: Brawl Speak for Beginners   Brawl Speak for Beginners Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:26 pm

Thank you very much i needed to know the 1st two very baddly. Thx max cheers
Back to top Go down
Maxim_6
Myrmidon
Myrmidon

PostSubject: Re: Brawl Speak for Beginners   Brawl Speak for Beginners Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:29 pm

mikey20100 wrote:
Thank you very much i needed to know the 1st two very baddly. Thx max cheers

No problem
Btw if I get any of the definitions wrong please post.
Back to top Go down
mikey20100
Myrmidon
Myrmidon
mikey20100

PostSubject: Re: Brawl Speak for Beginners   Brawl Speak for Beginners Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:34 pm

umm... is the meoteor smash a spike? Could u also give examples of chars that can do it.
Back to top Go down
Maxim_6
Myrmidon
Myrmidon

PostSubject: Re: Brawl Speak for Beginners   Brawl Speak for Beginners Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:38 pm

mikey20100 wrote:
umm... is the meoteor smash a spike? Could u also give examples of chars that can do it.

Done
Back to top Go down
punisher
Myrmidon
Myrmidon
punisher

PostSubject: Re: Brawl Speak for Beginners   Brawl Speak for Beginners Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:45 pm

Also Yahtzee is another term for spike, it is very fun to yell when you get an epic one.

Also reamed is a term for an epic k.o. or combo.
Back to top Go down
kynelius
The New Forum Fiend
The New Forum Fiend
kynelius

PostSubject: Re: Brawl Speak for Beginners   Brawl Speak for Beginners Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:54 pm

_tilts with the prefex of f, d, or u/up. i have been asked these way too often. these are attacks that are one of the most useful things to learn to do right up there with sheild. how to do them. gently hold up/down/forward and press "a". some characters NEED THIS, namely snake. so how to in a more example based description. crouch and press "a" to do a down tilt(dtilt) or walk(dont run) and press "a" for a forward tilt(ftilt) hold up(dont jump) and wait a bit, then press "a" to do an utilt.

adding to maxim's aerial wording
_air= prefex being n,f,u,d,b with it being neutral, forward, up, down, and back respectively.

DAC-dash attack cancel, this is an advanced tech that not everyone can do, and some characters REALLY have a tough time doing them. namely sheik. basically what this is, would be snakes slidy thing. how to: run, and use down stick then up a/z up a is the best method, but feels awkward and only for those that need VERY FAST action, z is less reliable, but still usable, i use z when sliding about with snake. i need to use "a" for sheik and sometimes wolf. wario is good, but his dac isnt that useful.

pivot grab-run behind someone, press grab, then press the other way, you turn around and do a grab. this is a fancy thing that can be used in some chain throws, like falco at the beginning, or ice climbers.

tech- when you press l/r within 20 frames of hitting a surface, you will stop your momentum. do not mash l/r, since if you do so outside of those 20 frames, it will take 40 frames until you can tech again.

Last edited by kynelius on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mikey20100
Myrmidon
Myrmidon
mikey20100

PostSubject: Re: Brawl Speak for Beginners   Brawl Speak for Beginners Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:12 pm

Kyn thx for the extra definitions u rock too cheers
Back to top Go down
Maxim_6
Myrmidon
Myrmidon

PostSubject: Re: Brawl Speak for Beginners   Brawl Speak for Beginners Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:39 pm

Thanks for the extra stuff kyn, I'll add one more

Chain Grabbing: The process that can be used by some characters, like KingDedede, where one throw can go after another throw without the opponent able to move. It can be considered cheap though.
Back to top Go down
Rinorim
Neon Lord
Neon Lord
Rinorim

PostSubject: Re: Brawl Speak for Beginners   Brawl Speak for Beginners Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:36 pm

chain grabs are considered cheap by some people, but not me. I just don't like them, but they are what make some characters really good, ( ice climbers )

RAR- Reverse Aerial Rush, this move can be used by all characters but not all characters should use it, but most should. The technique allows for a b-air to be used as an approach very easily. For some characters, ( falco, wolf ) This move is a godsend, but for others like marth, it's only useful for killing blows. In order to use this tech, dash, then slam the opposite direction, then the jump button, followed by a b-air, it's not the easiest thing to do, but if you use the up stick to jump, you can just slide your finger over it. I've mastered it, and it's really useful. There are variations to this move, for instance marth's spike has to hit with the tip to actually become a meteor smash, and the sword swings behind him for a long horizontal radius. So if when you try to spike someone, you turn around first, it gives you a much larger spike radius, I use this tech myself, and it took forever to master.
Back to top Go down
kynelius
The New Forum Fiend
The New Forum Fiend
kynelius

PostSubject: Re: Brawl Speak for Beginners   Brawl Speak for Beginners Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:50 am

a few more
laser lock- a technique falco has. what this is, is if you make someone pratfall(land on their face and then they need to roll to get up) then fire laser after laser, the opponent will go into a bounce animation. the thing is, is the laser has set knockback, so the bounce never increases, so all they do is scoot across the ground. other lasers, like wolf, or pit, cant shoot fast enough to do this.
but there is also
jab lock- a lot of characters can do this, the hardest beingn ddd. this is done similarly as falco, force a pratfall. then walk up, and press "a" once, they should bounce, then walk up a bit(they wont bounce far, but far enough that you cant do a standing one) and press "a" again. some characters cannot do this, like zelda(sheik can), ganon, ike cant on some characters, snake cant, there are a few more. but squirtle can use his standard "a" attack, or an ftilt.
wall infinites- general term for trapping someone against a wall for infinite damage. one example is ddd's chain throw into a wall, or dk's dtilt, or there is laser lock infinites and jab lock infinites, where you do the lock until the person is at a wall, then you keep going. for the jab lock infinites, you dont walk forward in between each jab.

EDIT: more techs as follows
sh- short hop, tap up or "x" or "y" to do a smaller jump than normal
ff-fast fall, hit down and you fall faster
shff-short hop fast fall, this is where you get complicated, you do this for some aerials near the ground
shffl-in melee this was a shortened way to say short hop fast fall l-cancel, l-cancelling was a tech in melee where you could negate all landing lag from an aerial attack, its like if you dair with link, how he pulls his sword out of teh ground, if you l-cancelled, he would just have his sword out of the ground. charcters like ganon and bowser benefitted the most. it also stood for short hop fast fall laser, a term for fox and falco, now, its the same thing in brawl, wolf cant, since he doesnt land cancel his laser. this is used to rack damage as you approach. back in melee, this was why falco was top tier, now its less useful, but still good.
shffdl-short hop fast fall double laser- now, fox and falco can do it, back in melee, only fox could. this is like an improved version of the shffl(laser)
wavebounce- this is something a few characters can do by setting the c-stick to specials, known as "b-sticking". by doing this, pressing cstick to the left does a side special to the left. no big deal? this allows you to use a side special while di'ing in the opposite direction. this is where wavebouncing comes in. some side b's have unique float mechanics, most notable being lucas. by altering your di and doing this, you have a new means to move, with this, lucas can revocer almost as well as pit or rob, mabe even better in some situations. lucario has one as well, ness has one, but its nothing like lucas. back to lucas, b-stick a pkfire, then di accordingly, and then do a psi magnet, and you float a great distance, then use your aerial jump, then use pk thunder, HOLY **** you just flew across all of hyrule temple.
Back to top Go down
Maxim_6
Myrmidon
Myrmidon

PostSubject: Re: Brawl Speak for Beginners   Brawl Speak for Beginners Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:43 pm

Thank you for your generous contributions Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MisterGuyOfShinobi
Frugal Fighter
Frugal Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Brawl Speak for Beginners   Brawl Speak for Beginners Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:49 pm

May I contribute one?

EdgeHog - The occurence in which one player grabs the edge to prevent the other player from grabbing the edge after the second payer has finished his/her recovery move. Leaving them to fall to their doom. If you try to edgehog to early it may result in yourself being KO'ed.

Simplified Version - You garb the edge so someone else can't grab it.
Back to top Go down
Rinorim
Neon Lord
Neon Lord
Rinorim

PostSubject: Re: Brawl Speak for Beginners   Brawl Speak for Beginners Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:10 am

You're always welcome to contribute techs. Kyn, I tried the laser lock, and it didn't work, I think I might be doing it wrong, but I need a better explanation.

Footstool Jump- you can jump on someone's head to gain extra air and send them down.
Back to top Go down
kynelius
The New Forum Fiend
The New Forum Fiend
kynelius

PostSubject: Re: Brawl Speak for Beginners   Brawl Speak for Beginners Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:47 pm

Rinorim wrote:
You're always welcome to contribute techs. Kyn, I tried the laser lock, and it didn't work, I think I might be doing it wrong, but I need a better explanation.

Footstool Jump- you can jump on someone's head to gain extra air and send them down.

the laser lock generally doesnt happen in a real match. to prove it, go into training, fight bowser. do 3 c-sticked upsmashes i think, then when he lands, start firing. another example is the ice block lock, with ice climbers. do 3 dthrow fair chainthrows then mash b.
Back to top Go down
drwaluigi999
Neon reviewer
Neon reviewer

PostSubject: Re: Brawl Speak for Beginners   Brawl Speak for Beginners Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:49 pm

this is really helpful now i know you guys arent just saying wierd things
Back to top Go down
mikey20100
Myrmidon
Myrmidon
mikey20100

PostSubject: Re: Brawl Speak for Beginners   Brawl Speak for Beginners Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:32 pm

Rinorim wrote:
Thx Rino, I was wondering what that was called. I used to call it "jump on opponents head".
Back to top Go down
deadlyknight
Frugal Fighter
Frugal Fighter
deadlyknight

PostSubject: Re: Brawl Speak for Beginners   Brawl Speak for Beginners Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:27 pm

okay i have a good tip for beggininers... to find your main... do random and play with like lvl 6 coms. find someone u think your good with.Then look on the Forums, look for Discussions areas on the forums page, click Brawl discussions, then look under the list for the character u play with, then look at what us clan fellow members had to say about tht characters.
Back to top Go down
kynelius
The New Forum Fiend
The New Forum Fiend
kynelius

PostSubject: Re: Brawl Speak for Beginners   Brawl Speak for Beginners Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:46 am

i would jsut like to say, this is quite the compendium of knowledge. also, some of this lingo isnt really for beginners haha. ill add more techs as i find/remember them
Back to top Go down
deadlyknight
Frugal Fighter
Frugal Fighter
deadlyknight

PostSubject: Re: Brawl Speak for Beginners   Brawl Speak for Beginners Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:24 am

mine post if for ppl tht dont have mains... Suspect
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brawl Speak for Beginners   Brawl Speak for Beginners Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Brawl Speak for Beginners
Page 1 of 1